Thursday, April 25, 2013

Do you know how to make socks with ribbon?

I am not a master seamstress. This is how I make my ruffled socks. I’m sure there are other ways to make them that may even be better, but this method works great for me. 

I've never used double ruffle ribbon but i make ribbon ruffle socks all the time. Looks like they layered 2 ribbons.

I turn a sock inside out & stretch it over the arm of my sewing machine. Usually sewing machines have a wider part you can "pop" off to just use the arm. Then I just use a zig zag stitch to sew the ribbon to the sock. By stretching the sock over the arm it ruffles it automatically (once you remove it). You don't have to worry about sewing right on the edge of the sock either since the sock edge will be hidden by the ribbon ruffle.

If you use 2 ribbons then you can sew both at once - just be careful to keep them lined up so the underneath one is getting caught. I layer 5/8 over 7/8 for little ones & 7/8 over 1 1/2 for girls over about 12-18 months. I just use ribbon straight from the roll & cut it once I've over lapped where I started by about 1/2 an inch.

Does this make sense? These are some I made for another Hip Girl for Easter.

Things You'll Need

2.two white socks
3.Watch A quick 4.6 minute instructional video on how to add ribbon to your embroidered socks.



No comments:

Post a Comment